Monday, March 31, 2008

My New Sledge!

Being AB fairly hefty, strong, aggressive and gaining skill, I've been though a few sleds and sled adjustments. This has been a bit of a challenge for my buddy Lou the sledge builder. The evolution has included:
-narrowing the blade carrier (channel) to an inch wide
-increasing the material thickness of the blade carrier
-customizing the blade carrier to make it more monocot (none adjustable but we both know where my centre of gravity is.
-parabolic blades
-open bucket to closed molded "puck-stop" bucket.
-raising of seat height.
-adding "dump" to my bucket.
-added bracing from the blade carrier to the forward rails

My new sledge is a beast! While before, leaning into a turn I might touch down my seat onto the ice and go for an uncontrolled slide, the new height makes this virtually impossible unless I was checked. The height, while making balancing more tricky, also makes me more intimidating and more difficult to knock over. Turning now requires much less lean but if I do lean hard the turn is quick, tight and immediate although I do scrub off a little more energy than I use to. This later effect is now fading with a little technique adjustment.

Pictures on the "OCSHIP Sledge Hockey Challenge 2008 Ottawa Barbarians" slide show on the right.

No comments: